Wednesday December 16, 2015
Massage Therapists are often looking for new tools to save their bodies so they can continue to take great care of others and earn their living in the field they love.
For a while now exercise balls have been used in the gym as a work out adjunct, for stretching, or are even being used in lieu of office chairs.
Over the 13 years I have been using a ball for seated work, I have realized many benefits first-hand.
Here are my top 10 reasons why using an exercise ball instead of an office stool is one of the smartest tools to utilize in your practice:
1. Sitting on a ball encourages movement of your body during seated work.
2. Using a ball gives ample opportunity to stretch your back during the course of a session as you are benefiting your client.
3. Doing back extensions on the ball between clients relieves back tension and opens the pecs, abs, and anterior hips.
4. Using a ball encourages movement to come through your feet, core, arms and hands drawing energy from your whole self, rather than just the small muscles of your forearms, wrists and hands.
5. Movement coming through you translates as flow through your client's tissue rather than it being worked "at".
6. Using a ball strengthens your core and improves your balance and posture.
7. Moving on a ball engages your legs increasing circulation, mitigating static posture and blood pooling from being on your feet all day.
8. Working on a ball stretches the psoas contributing to better low back strength and support.
9. Moving on a ball takes advantage of inertia and saves your energy.
10. Working on a ball is fun!
Watch this video for tips on how to pick the right size ball for you.
If you'd like to find out more about how using movement can be kind and effective for both you and your clients, join me in an upcoming class.
For class schedule, please click here. Hope to see you soon!